WorldFish is seeking a motivated, dynamic, and energetic team player whom will be responsible to manage the Molecular Laboratory in WorldFish Headquarters in Penang ensuring the equipment is in working order, ordering consumable supplies, ensuring the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) is properly maintained and the laboratory is in compliance with Health and Safety requirements.
This includes the proper functioning of the cryogenic storage unit. The job will have technical oversight of activities in the laboratory by visiting scientists providing appropriate advice and training where necessary in the use of the facilities. The job includes conducting experiments under the direction of team scientist(s) and the successful applicant is expected to work closely with the scientific team at Penang and with colleagues overseas. Occasional travel may be required to undertake sampling or provide advice.
- Undertaking the day-to-day operations of the laboratory (including the cryogenic storage unit) ensuring compliance to Health and Safety and other necessary government regulations (e.g. development and maintenance of SOPs and MSDS registers).
- Maintaining the equipment and tools in the Molecular Laboratory and ensuring these are serviced according to schedule.
- Ensuring the DNA and tissue samples in the Molecular Laboratory are well managed and prepared on timely manner and that the data in the laboratory system LIMS is up to date and well maintained.
- Supervise and/or provide technical support to intern(s), student(s), visiting and/or staff scientist(s) undertaking experiments or utilizing equipment in the Molecular Laboratory facility.
- Purchasing consumables and services and ensuring orders are well communicated with vendor(s) / supplier(s) and WorldFish procurement department so that these are received in a timely manner to meet project requirements and, where necessary, assist in the selection and purchasing of laboratory equipment.
- Assist in the collection of samples and the conduct of experiments as required.
- Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Biological Science, with biotechnology background.
- Experience in Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and microscope use and care.
- Knowledge in aquaculture and research.
- Proficient in both spoken and written English.
- Experience in DNA extraction, preparation of tissue samples and working with molecular genetic equipment.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision.
Time frame and location
This position will be based at WorldFish’s HQ in Penang, Malaysia. Interviews are expected to be held in June 2017.
The successful candidate should be available to commence by September 2017.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with the job level. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. Qualified women and professionals are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 10 June 2017:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Names and contacts (telephone, fax, and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.