Scientist (Fish Feeds and Nutrition)
Aquaculture is the fastest-growing food-production sector in the world, now providing almost half of the global fish supply. Increases in demand for fish indicate that aquaculture will need to continue to expand, particularly in Asia and Africa. To meet this growing demand, WorldFish uses its technical and scientific expertise in fisheries and aquaculture to promote evidence-based development solutions and increase aquaculture productivity, while minimizing impacts on the environment by developing technologies, improving resource management, securing access to essential inputs and improving connections to markets. Development of sustainable fish feeds represents a key component in our future program.
Reporting to the Sustainable Aquaculture Program Leader, the Scientist will conduct high quality research on fish nutrition and feeds, with emphasis on novel sustainable ingredients, interactions between fish feeding, nutrition and genetics, and delivering feed solutions that can accelerate sustainable growth of aquaculture in Africa and Asia.
- Design and conduct high quality fish nutrition and feeds research, with a focus on novel sustainable feed ingredients and nutrition-genetic interactions.
- Develop productive partnerships to further our sustainable feeds research, including key international and national research institutes.
- Build productive relations with investors and development partners from public and private sectors for scaling out of our feeds research results.
- Mentor young aquaculture feeds researchers in key program countries.
- Assist in mobilizing resources in support of new research activities
- Prepare quality papers and communication products from feeds research activities
- PhD in aquaculture, livestock or related fields of fish or animal feeds and nutrition
- At least 3 years post doctoral experience in a field related to fish or animal feeds and nutrition
- Excellent proficiency of spoken and written English
- Strong record of publications in a related field
- Motivation for high quality science and delivery of impact from research
- Strong professional network in the field of aquaculture feeds and fish nutrition research
- Knowledge and experience of working in developing countries in Africa and/or Asia
- Resource mobilization record
- Interdisciplinary research collaboration with human nutrition, value chains and gender research fields
- Private sector experience
Salary and benefits
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with annual salary ranging between USD 53,000 - USD63,000 per annum.
WorldFish's IRS shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) housing allowance*, relocation and repatriation assistance*, dependent education allowance*, home leave entitlement*, comprehensive insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension/provident fund contribution.
Note: Items marked * are not applicable to staff recruited as Home Country Internationals (nationals of the country of posting). All benefits are subject to terms and conditions.
Timeframe and location
This global position will be based at one of the following locations:
- Penang, Malaysia (HQ) OR
- Cairo, Egypt OR
- Lusaka, Zambia
with significant travel to various countries in Africa, Asia and Pacific. Interviews will be held via video conference.
The successful candidate should be available to commence by as soon as possible for an initial 3 years contract, with possibility of extension depending on performance of and the availability of funding. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage women and nationals from developing countries to apply.
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information asap:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone, fax, and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.