Post Doctoral Fellow
Aquaculture is the fastest-growing food-production sector in the world, now providing more than half of the global fish supply. Increases in demand for fish indicate that aquaculture will need to continue to expand, particularly in Asia and Africa. To meet this growing demand, WorldFish uses its technical and scientific expertise in fisheries and aquaculture to promote evidence-based development solutions and increase aquaculture productivity, while minimizing impacts on the environment by developing technologies, improving resource management, securing access to essential inputs and improving connections to markets. Development of sustainable fish feeds represents a key component in our future program.
Reporting to the WorldFish Country Director of Egypt and Nigeria, the Postdoc will conduct high quality research on fish nutrition and feeds, with emphasis on novel sustainable ingredients, interactions between fish feeding, nutrition, genetics and fish health, and delivering feed solutions that can accelerate sustainable growth of aquaculture in Egypt and other African countries.
- Work collaboratively with the Fish Feeds and Nutrition Scientist based in WorldFish HQ in Malaysia and the Aquaculture Nutrition and Systems Team at Wageningen University to design and conduct high quality aquaculture research, with focus on novel sustainable feeding concepts for ponds, targeting production enhancement, while reducing environmental impacts and strengthening fish and system resilience.
- Develop productive partnerships to further our sustainable pond research, through key international and national research institutes and universities.
- Build productive relations with investors and development partners from public and private sectors for scaling out of research results.
- Mentor Bachelor Sciences or Master students from national and international universities through their thesis or internship projects.
- To plan, organize, execute and report on research projects in dialogue with senior as well as junior staff/employees.
- Monitor and facilitate ongoing research activities daily at the Abbassa research centre.
- Prepare quality reports / papers and communication products from the research activities.
This job is open to Egypt Nationals with the following skills and qualifications:
- PhD in aquaculture, livestock or related fields of fish / animal nutrition or aquaculture systems.
- Proven record of publications in his/her study field.
- Excellent proficiency of spoken and written English.
- Motivation for high quality science and delivery of impact from research.
- Show proven interest and ability to develop and maintain a professional network in the field of aquaculture research.
- Ability to work within interdisciplinary research teams, linking own expertise to other fields, including human nutrition, value chains and gender research fields.
Salary & Benefits
This is a National Recruited Staff (IRS) position with annual salary ranging between EGP 200,000 to EGP 230,000. WorldFish's NRS shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension / provident fund contribution.
This position will be based at WorldFish’s Country office in Abbassa, Egypt. Interviews are expected to be held in June 2019. Only shortlisted candidate will be notified and expected to attend the interview. The successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible for an initial one (1) year fixed term contract, with the possibility of contract renewal depending on performance and funding situation.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage women and nationals from developing countries to apply.
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 31 May 2019:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.