Internship (Review of Low- Carbon Aquaculture Solutions)
Aquaculture is the world’s fastest growing animal food sector, with 89% of production located in Asia. Moreover, overall output is expected to double over the coming 20 years, putting additional stress on many already degraded ecosystems. However, compared to other animal food sectors, aquaculture has shown potential to provide animal proteins with relatively small environmental consequences. The research related to this position aims to identify farming practices that could allow the aquaculture sector to double its output, without increasing its environment footprint.
We are seeking an intern with an interest in food safety and environmental issues. The candidate is expected to review aquaculture practices, old and new, that could help feed future populations with fish in more sustainable ways.
- One manuscript on “Potentials for increasing aquaculture volumes within its current footprint”.
- One working paper describing WorldFish’s climate smart aquaculture activities.
- Master's Degree in related field.
- Good understanding about aquaculture practices and environmental assessment frameworks (e.g. Life Cycle Assessment).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Hard working with a good work ethic.
- Strong organizational skills.
- This position is an excellent opportunity to gain information and experience with an international research organization.
- The internship is predominantly desk-based but may also come to involve some fieldwork.
- The intern will also get the chance to interact and collaborate with staff on other projects.
- A monthly stipend, a return ticket, and medical insurance shall be provided.
Location and duration
This position will be based in Penang, Malaysia. The successful candidate should be available to commence the internship as soon as possible for a period of 9 months. This position is open to national and international applicants.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. We are an equal opportunities employer and professionals from developing countries are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Application process is rolling. Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information:
- A cover letter stating why you are interested in and well-suited to the position. Your cover letter should also demonstrate what you hope to gain from this internship.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Names and contacts (telephone, fax, and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.