Scientist (Gender and Value chain)
WorldFish leads multi-year, applied and interdisciplinary research contributing to women’s empowerment and gender equity and equality in fish agri-food systems across 6 governorates in Upper and Lower Egypt. These programs aim to improve the nutrition of and economic opportunities for youth and women resulting from sustainable, gender-equitable and inclusive expansion and management of the aquaculture and fisheries sectors.
The terms of this position apply to overall WorldFish project objectives of:
- Expanding new value chain opportunities to develop equitable, productive aquaculture market systems
- Improving market practices of existing beneficiary women and men retailers in Sharqia, Kafr El Sheikh and Fayoum.
Within these, the Scientist will specifically contribute to the following objectives. Through these, s/he will lead and contribute both to quality science and to WorldFish’s identified development impacts, in particular in the area of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Effective integration (mainstreaming) of gender analysis in the Egypt research portfolio: The Scientist will ensure that the WorldFish research projects to be effectively gender-integrated overall, through working with interdisciplinary project teams to enable gender to be considered and addressed effectively, as appropriate, in technical aquaculture, markets, nutrition or other research design, implementation, analysis, and communication of findings, as well as monitoring and evaluation (M&E).
- Impactful, innovative, applied research on gender in fish value chains and fish agri-food systems: The Scientist will lead and enable the successful design, implementation, analysis, communication and M&E of gender-strategic studies (i.e., research or studies in which the subject is gender and/or women’s empowerment).
- Successfully lead the design through to analysis of a set of priority gender-focused studies in Egypt, such as research on the empowerment of poor women fish retailers or processors and the reduction of gender-related barriers in fish value chains using gender transformative approaches.
- Work with and support research teams to ensure that gender is well-integrated (mainstreamed) and well delivered in technical research projects, such as on feeds, best management practices, consumption and nutrition surveys and so forth.
- As part of the above, train, supervise and support select field research teams and collaborate with research partners in field activities, including ensuring data is collected and analysed to a high quality and in a timely manner.
- Convene, co-design and lead trainings and workshops as needed on gender or for the gender-related projects, such as for the formation of women-led retailer collectives and savings groups.
- Work with WorldFish M&E staff to ensure that gender is integrated in the design and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) priority projects, including Aqualinc, STREAMs and EWFIRE.
- Spearhead and support capacity development on gender as needed in WorldFish Egypt, and with/for partners.
- Report on budget, activities, outputs, and outcomes in a timely manner to the CGIAR research program on FISH and to donors.
- Contribute to successful resource mobilization (proposal writing) on an as-needed basis, in particular, ensuring that gender is well integrated in proposals.
- Continue to build the profile of WorldFish in terms of gender in key networks in Egypt, including with government and donor agencies.
This job is open to Egyptian nationals with the following skills and qualifications:
- PHD plus at least 2 years of professional research experience in gender and fisheries, agriculture or development (or MSc plus 8 years of professional research experience in gender and fisheries, agriculture or development).
- Demonstrated expertise in the area of gender and market development/inclusive value chain development.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative research and analysis skills.
- Competencies in one of, or ideally several, research design types (from observational, experimental or quasi-experimental) and approaches (including participatory or participatory action research).
- Demonstrated skills in research design, team leadership, and research/project management.
- Very strong science writing skills, as evidenced by a track record of high quality peer-reviewed science publications.
- Proficient in English and Arabic languages, both spoken and written.
- Must be a team player with exemplary interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks.
Salary and benefits
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position with salary of EGP 15,633 per month (before deduction of statutory contributions).WorldFish's NRS shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension/provident fund contribution.
Timeframe and location
This position will be based in Cairo, Egypt. The initial employment contract will be for a 10-month period, with possibility for renewal. Interviews are expected to be held in April 2018, and shortlisted candidate will be expected to attend.
The successful candidate should be available to commence latest asap. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be notified.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage women and nationals from developing countries to apply.
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online by 27 March 2018:
- A cover letter including a 300-word (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone, fax, and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience.
Screening will start on immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Only selected candidates will be contacted.