Scientist / Senior Scientist (Fish Genetics)
Aquaculture is the fastest-growing food-production sector in the world, now providing almost half of the global fish supply. Increases in demand for fish indicate that aquaculture will need to continue to expand, particularly in Asia and Africa. To meet this growing demand, WorldFish uses its technical and scientific expertise to provide evidence-based development solutions that increase aquaculture productivity, while minimizing impacts on the environment. Development of improved and resilient fish breeds for Africa and Asia represents a key component in the WorldFish sustainable aquaculture program.
Under the general direction of Research Program Leader, Sustainable Aquaculture, the incumbent will provide leadership, conceive and conduct high quality research on fish genetics and manage fish genetic improvement programs aimed at improving their farm performance. The research will include the incorporation molecular tools and genomic selection, where suitable. S/he will work closely with other members of the genetics and sustainable aquaculture team to ensure the excellence of the projects.Key responsibilities
- Develop new research areas and lead development of new research proposal in fish genetics.
- Ensure novel fish breeds developed and disseminated through the successful design and implementation of high quality research on genetics related to improved aquaculture performance, with emphasis on tilapia, carp and catfish farming in Africa and Asia.
- Deliver efficiently managed breeding and genetic improvement programs for aquaculture species including genomic selection where appropriate.
- Develop and maintain strong inter-disciplinary research collaboration with other WorldFish scientists, particularly on research focusing on fish nutrition, health and husbandry, aquaculture technologies and social science (e.g. feeds/disease; impact studies).
- Develop and maintain research partnerships in fish genetics with scientists from advanced local and international research institutes and private sector, and provide technical advice to these as required.
- Provide mentorship to support capacity building and development of a productive science team focused on genetics research solutions for sustainable growth of aquaculture in Africa and Asia.
- Produce high quality experimental plans and journal articles on fish genetics research.
- Effective resource mobilization in support of WorldFish genetics research activities and communication products for end users of research.
This job might be for you if you have these essential skills and qualifications:
- A PhD in Genetics / Animal Breeding or related discipline.
- Proven track record in designing and implementing research activities, with at least 5 years’ experience in leading research. Candidate with fewer years of experience will be considered for more junior position.
- Strong record of publications in fish genetics, animal breeding or a related field.
- Knowledge and experience of population/molecular genetics.
- Motivation for high quality science and delivery of applications/impact from research.
- Experience of supervising staff.
- Excellent proficiency of spoken and written English.
Desired skills and qualifications:
- Knowledge and/or experience of working with the aquaculture industry.
- Knowledge and experience of working in developing countries in Africa and/or Asia.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position based at Penang, Malaysia with the following annual gross basic salary range:
- Scientist: USD 55,000 – USD 57,000 gross per annum
- Senior Scientist: USD 86,000 – USD 91,000 gross per annum
WorldFish's IRS shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) housing allowance*, relocation and repatriation assistance*, dependent education allowance*, home leave entitlement*, comprehensive insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension/provident fund contribution.
Note: Items marked * are not applicable to staff recruited as Home Country Internationals (nationals of the country of posting). All benefits are subject to terms and conditions.
The position will be based in Penang, Malaysia. The initial employment contract will be for a three (3) -year period, with possibility for renewal depending on performance of and the availability of funding. Interviews will be held via video conference and the successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be notified.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage women and nationals from developing countries to apply.
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 30 April 2019:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start as soon as possible, and will continue until the position is filled. Only selected candidates will be contacted.