Assistant Accountant (Accounts Payable) (2 - 4 Months)
Accounts Payable (AP) is an integral part of the WorldFish’ Financial Services Unit. The function is responsible for issuing payments to WorldFish’s commercial suppliers, consultants, partners and collaborators. It is also responsible for ensuring that system controls and financial policies are fulfilled before payments are made, and expenses/liabilities are booked. Therefore, this function is immensely important and the incumbent will be exposed to multiple front-end processes such as Procurement, Grants & Contracts and Treasury/Banking.
The incumbent will provide support to WorldFish’ AP Team in HQ and his/her key roles and responsibilities are as follows:
- Assist the AP Team in day-to-day operations such as (a) updating banking details in supplier profiles, (b) preparation of payment vouchers and checks/TT Forms, and (c) system invoice & payment registrations. The incumbent shall ensure that all entries into the systems (including bank portals) are complete and accurate so that payments can be made on a timely basis.
- Compile and submit relevant tax invoices to the Royal Malaysian Customs for tax refund. The incumbent shall ensure that all tax invoices are filed systematically to enable easy retrieval and audit.
- Ensure that relevant supporting documents are submitted to the AP Team for payment processing. These documents are to be attached in the system workflow for review and audit purposes. This includes liaising with Country Offices for the necessary documents.
- Facilitate the annual financial audit of WorldFish, as well as other project audits (which include the analysis and follow-up of AP balances).
- Reconcile and match AP balances to payments in the system to enable an accurate aged report to be generated from the system.
- Reconcile corporate credit card balances to expense liquidation and escalate aged balances to card holders.
This job is open to Malaysian nationals with the following essential skills and qualifications:
- At least a Diploma in Accounting or equivalent (including part professional accountancy qualification).
- Proficient in English language, both in written and verbal.
- Meticulous, has good organizational and analytical skills.
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Computer literate, a good team player and has good inter-personal skills.
- Experience in basic book-keeping and AP control processes is definitely an advantage.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and experience in using ERP software system would also be an advantage.
Salary and benefits
This is a temporary position with salary ranging in between MYR 1,500 – MYR 2,000 per month. WorldFish's temporary staff shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) paid annual leave, insurance coverage for staff, and pension/provident fund contribution.
Time frame and location
This position will be based in Penang, Malaysia. The employment contract will only be for 2 to 4 months period. Interviews are expected to be held by early July 2018, and shortlisted candidate will be expected to attend the interview session.
The successful candidate should be available to commence latest by 1 August 2018. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be notified.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage women and nationals from developing countries to apply.
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information by 29 June 2018:
- A cover letter including a 300-word (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone, fax, and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience.
Screening will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Only selected candidates will be contacted.